What a wonderful day we had with Daniela! She showed us the beautiful Lake Orta area including the lovely Sacro Monti.
Orta San Giulio & the Sacro Monte Tour
Expert Local Guide
A UNESCO World Heritage Site
Experience the Magical Atmosphere of Orta San Giulio & the Sacro Monte
On this half-day tour you will enjoy visiting and exploring the medieval village of Orta San Giulio, the tiny and silent island of San Giulio and the UNESCO site Sacro Monte. See Lake Orta, the hidden gem of the Italian Lake District. You will also learn all about the unique and wonderful stories the region has to offer. You will experience a magical mix of history, nature, culture and legend all in one day! So come and join me on an expertly guided tour of this most beautiful and historic of places.
Explore a medieval village by the beautiful Lake Orta and learn about its history
Stroll along the lovely streets in Orta San Giulio
Take a boat out to the only island in the middle of this small lake which is surrounded by stunning mountains: the legend says Saint Jules killed a dragon here in the IV century!
Take in a medieval church and a nunnery of cloistered nuns on the island and find out for yourself why it is called “The Island of Silence”
Head to the Sacro Monte: a complex of chapels depicting the life of Saint Francesco di Assisi and one of the Sacred Mountains of Piedmont and Lombardy, which together are a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Go for a walk along a shaded path past 20 chapels with views of the lake at the Sacro Monte
Click the tabs to find out more
200 USD for up to 10 people
*Contact me for larger groups*
**Prices do not include entrance fees and boat transfer**
Boat transfer to the Island of San Giulio: 4,50 euros per person
- 9:30 for morning tour;
- 2:30 for afternoon tour
A specified address or intersection (outside Villa Crespi hotel – via G.Fava, 18 – Orta San Giulio)
Mondays to Saturdays (I don’t suggest Sundays because of the crowds, however, the tour is possible but the church on the island is closed for the Holy Mass in the morning)
20 people max
Professional, friendly guiding services: I shall be your personal assistant throughout the tour and share my expertise. I can deliver a great deal of information about the things we see. In addition, I am here to introduce you to our region and culture and to help with whatever questions you may have.
Boat transfer to the island of San Giulio: 4,50 euros per person
What to bring
- Cash/credit card
- Umbrella (occasionally, check the weather!)
- Comfortable shoes
About your guide
Daniela Grisoni – certified tour guide
What You'll See & Do
At the Sacro Monte, we’ll take a walk by 20 chapels along a path in the shade with views of the lake (we can reach it by car or on foot – 20 minute walk). This is one of the Sacri Monti (Sacred Mountains) of Piedmont and Lombardy, which together make a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
A short boat trip will then take us to the only island in the middle of this small lake which is stunningly surrounded by the mountains. Here the legend states Saint Jules killed a dragon in the 4th century and his body still rests in the crypt of the church – a jewel in northern Italy! You will visit a medieval church and walk along the “path of silence”. We’ll then head back to the village of Orta and stroll through this old town learning about its long and interesting history. Then it’s time for gelato!
Lake Orta is soaked in history and you’ll be able to learn so much of it with my simple yet informed stories of the area that I have learned in my many years traveling with guests in the region. Every time I have guided my guests around Orta, even the ones that have traveled all around the world, they are always blown away by this little village and by the atmosphere they experience on the island. It is a truly mystical place that you must come and experience for yourself.
Important Information - Covid-19 Policy
I follow the guidance from the Institute of Tourist Guiding(opens in a new tab):
- I will ensure I am familiar with the most up-to-date public health guidelines and will adhere to these for the duration of the tour.
- I will maintain government-recommended social distancing between myself and clients at all times.
- I will avoid shaking hands or any other physical contact with guests.
- I will apply rigorous hygiene practices, including thoroughly cleaning and waiting for hands to dry before guiding, and use a personal hand sanitizer when this is not possible.
- If requested, I will consider wearing a mask or visor.
- I will know where public toilets/hand-washing facilities/hand sanitizer points are available.
- Remote audio devices (such as Whisper, Vox and various apps) can be effective for social distancing on guided tours. I can happily work with these.
- I will ensure guests are fully aware of sites’ specific Covid-19 requirements and comply with them.
- I know the towns and cities where I will lead tours intricately. I am familiar with more crowded areas and will make best efforts to negotiate them, or avoid them completely.
What Previous Guests Have Said
Daniela Grisoni is an outstanding tour guide. She was on time, was very knowledgeable, very pleasant, amiable and had a good sense of humor.
Daniela is fabulous! She speaks beautiful English, is so articulate and full of historic knowledge and a wonderful personality. We have applied for another tour with her.